Classic Creme Caramel Recipe
Creme Caramel is a classic in the genre, and with right. Who doesn’t like indulging with melt-in-your-mouth Creme Caramel? This is one of our lovely mum’s favourite recipes and she makes it best!
As many other recipes, this one has a lot of different variations as well. This creme caramel recipe has been tested so many times in our family – we know it from our mother, and she knows it from our granny, so I suspect we will pass it down to the generation to come.
There are a few tricks in making the creme caramel. Firstly, you have to whisk the eggs before you add the sugar, and once you have added it, mix for at least 3 minutes. It is very important to obtain a thick and fluffy foam. Secondly, keep an eye on the water level, no water should fall among your dessert. And last but not least, if the water starts to boil, turn down the heat or add a little bit of cold water.
Ingredients for 6 portions:
- 500 ml milk
- 130 g sugar + 6 tbsp.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ lemon
You will also need:
6 creme caramel ramekins , oven glove and a deep baking tray
Classic Creme Caramel Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºС. In a big bowl, whisk the eggs. Mix in 130 g sugar at high speed until a thick fluffy foam is obtained.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the remaining sugar and leave it to caramelise. Remove from the heat and pour the caramelised sugar equally into the ramekins.
- Transfer the egg mixture into the ramekins and place them into the baking tray.
- Pour hot water into the baking tray but be careful not to overflow the ramekins. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a golden crust starts to form.
- After completely cool, you can store the creme caramel in the fridge for 3-4 days.