Honestly, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like chocolate mousse. If you know someone, please let me know. This chocolate mousse recipe is super quick and easy, and it’s unbelievably delicious. Serves four, but it’s quite sweet, so you can divide it into 6 smaller portions.
A lot of the ingredients in this recipe are melted in a water bath. Most people pour water into a saucepan on the stove until it boils and then place a second melting pot on top or use the microwave. I think this whole process is too long and, when the amount of the used ingredients is small, I prefer to save some time and I have come up with an easier method. I boil the water in a kettle, then pour it into a small bowl and place the melting pot on top. It takes just a few minutes and you don’t have to use the stove. If you need to melt a few things, use different pots, and if the water gets cold, you can always replace it.
My sister has an even faster and better method that saves you from messing around with pans and hot water – she uses an electric melting pot that comes with 3 different pots and has 2 different settings – one for melting, and one for keeping warm so you can keep it liquid for as long as you like.
Ingredients for 4 Baileys chocolate mousses:
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 75 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 20 ml Baileys
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath. Stir in the butter first, then add the Baileys and stir again until thoroughly mixed.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Place the yolks in a bowl and beat well. Mix in the sugar until you get bright light cream.
- Pour the cream into the chocolate mixture and stir with a spatula.
- Put the egg whites in a clean dry bowl. Add in the salt and beat with a mixer on high until fluffy peaks form.
- Add the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Divide the mousse evenly into 4 dessert bowls. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for at least an hour.
Tip: Decorate your chocolate mousse as you like. We prefer it with cream and crushed almonds. You can also sprinkle it with chocolate sprinkles, cranberries, raspberries, physalis cut in half or even a few crystals of sea salt for a greater contrast.